Just a Forum

You are not logged in.

Adverts

#1 2012-07-22 18:15:32

*You-Know-Who*
Miss Phobia
Website

The Infernal Devices v. Mortal Instruments

I know this is just my personal opinion... but I personally think this series is better than TMI. For one, Tessa is much stronger, more sensible, better developed than Clary. For another, the love triangle between Tessa, Jem and Will makes it look like Clary, Simon and Jace have easy lives.
And Henry. Henry's very existence gives me a large amount of joy. Aside from the characters, the plot is far more addictive. I find myself much more engrossed, addictive and rabid to know what happens next.

Furthermore... James F*CKING Carstairs. I love him. I adore him. He's so poetic, beautiful... and my inner bleeding heart cries a lot for him... if that wedding doesn't go through I'm going to become violent. VERY violent.

So, which series do you prefer? I'd love to chat.

"I am the Vampire Lestat. And nothing... Not even this mortal body can stop me." - Lestat, Tale of the Body Thief
I'm the L o u i s to her L e s t a t . . . ♥
"Don't dream it.
Be it."

2012-07-22 18:15:32

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-07-23 01:04:47

Finite Incantatem
Lightning Has Struck!
Website

Re: The Infernal Devices v. Mortal Instruments

Disclaimer: I'm ashamed to say that I have not yet read City of Lost Souls and I have not finished Clockwork Prince (but I know about the wedding! I'm literally only like forty pages from the end).

That said, I definitely like TID better than TMI, because I think it's much more developed than TMI, and it's setting and overarching plot is just so much more interesting. I hate the love triangle, though. I'm still side-eyeing Cassandra Clare for that one . . . we had enough of that in TMI! Plus, Jem and Tessa are so perfect for one another, I just feel like Jem is doomed. I don't think he'll make it to the end of the series, I really don't. And as much as I like Will and really admire his ability to cut off everyone he loves, I don't think that he and Tessa would make  good romantic couple, and I really don't want Tessa to fall into Will's arms when if Jem dies.

:/

"You okay, Freddie?"
"Yeah."
"Me too."

#3 2012-07-23 01:24:34

*You-Know-Who*
Miss Phobia
Website

That's how I feel!!! Jemmy and Tessa are beyond perfect. I hold an extreme grudge towards his medicine box for falling over during their alone time. >.< 'Tis not okay, even a little. Cassie has posted snippets of CP2, and Will states in one of them he won't go to Tessa after Jem dying, because it would make it feel like something good came of his Parabatai dying, like he took some sort of pleasure of the effects of it, which he would never ever do. That being said... GYAH THE FRIENDSHIP BETWEEN THOSE TWO!!!! It makes me so happy inside at its deepness.
Jem and Will are waaaay better parabatai than Jace and Alec. I sometimes forget the latter two are bonded. But everyone in TID makes my heart bleed, at least a little. I don't think Jem will live the rest of the series... and I'm dying inside for it. He is probably my favorite person to ever come from Cassie Clare's imagination.

"I am the Vampire Lestat. And nothing... Not even this mortal body can stop me." - Lestat, Tale of the Body Thief
"Don't dream it.
Be it."

#4 2012-07-24 02:38:25

Finite Incantatem
Lightning Has Struck!
Website

All of the characters in TID give me too many feelings! Like you, Jem especially tugs on my heartstrings. I mean, he's just such a perfect human being. I hate the hates himself so much because of his illness.

The only character in TID that I don't really like is Jessamine. I mean, I'm sure she has some depth to her, but I really don't sympathize with her at all and I find her rather annoying. She acts like a less-badass version of Isabelle, who, when stripped of her badassery, would be pretty annoying as well.

(That reminds me - one of the main, and only, complaints I have with TID is that all of the characters seem to mirror at least in some way characters from TMI. I mean, I like Cassie's books and they entertain me to bits, but she isn't really a fantastic writer all around, and she seems to struggle with coming up with unique characters. I mean, Tessa is a more intelligent version of Clary. Will is a more angsty version of Jace. Jessamine is a more whiny Isabelle. Jem is a sweeter, kinder Simon. Charlotte and Henry are more present versions of Maryse and . . . Robert (??). It just gets kind of tiring after a while - I'd like to see her put her story-telling imagination to her characters as well.)

"You okay, Freddie?"
"Yeah."
"Me too."

#5 2012-07-24 04:31:36

*You-Know-Who*
Miss Phobia
Website

It may be due to the fact she had TID inspired long before. If you notice, the TID characters are far more developed as they were more meditates. So it may be that TMI was almost... a test-run?
In the case of Will and Jace's similarities I believe that they're SUPPOSED to. Physically, Will is supposed to, I can presume, resemble Alec (his build, hair and eyes), hence Magnus's feeling for him and his later love of Alec. He's supposed to be reminiescient of Jace, as he's some sort of anscestor/relative of Jace's.  Though also, Will and Jace only SEEM similar on the surface. Jace is a selfish being who runs from his problems, who takes them out on those whom he loves. Jace is very scared of things to come. Will shuts people out with their own protection in mind, even if his own destruction is result. Will faces problems quietly, yes, but very head-on. While they both have similar shells, what's inside is very, very different. Will values the protection and love of his friends/family. Jace, it seems, not as much. He CARES for the Lightwoods, and for Clary, but Will's love for Jem, Tessa and Cecily is far different and deeper. Jace is nowhere near as good or mature a person.

However, Jem is much different than Simon, I'll argue. He has a similar ROLE yes. But Jem doesn't have the shakiness and unsureness of Simon, he is by no means as... smartass-y? They both are there for the respective protagonist female. But, their lives, situations and personalities? I can't really see much of a similarity. If anything, liken Jem to Alec. His love of Will is deeper than that between Alec and Jace, but I'll leave that to Jace's unwillingness to open up (see Will/Jace rant).

I don't like Jessie either. I sympathize she is in a life she hates... but she is extremely self-absorbed. She's so selfish, other people are ACTUALLY endangered by it. Bleh. I can't really say if Henry and Charlotte are similar to Maryse and Robert... because we don't really know Maryse and Robert. I love Henry though. He's just so... cute! and it turns out his inventions ARE useful! Yay Henry!
Oh, but that Magnus guy, DAMN he's waaaaay too reminiscient of the other series. Similarities are spooky, really. :P *le-bad joke is over now*

My next point... Mortmain. God, he pwns Valentine, am I right? Scarier, smarter, eviler... yet I feel sympathy for him too. Also, his name and smart-ness make me think of Moriarty xD.

And my final thing to say... Gideon and Sophie. Gyah. This has become an obsessive OTP of mine.

"Don't dream it.
Be it."

#6 2012-07-26 02:24:58

Finite Incantatem
Lightning Has Struck!
Website

Oh, a similar "role" is what I meant! They definitely aren't the same personality types, but they all serve the same purpose in the story, you know? I wish Cassie would explore more character types than just main girl, angsty love interest, supportive friend, goofy/absent parents, pretty rival girl . . . You can put different personalities in those roles, but it's still the same character archetype.

And yes, I love Mortmain as a villain so much more than Valentine. To be honest, I got pretty tired of Valentine by the end of the original TMI. I knew without a shadow of a doubt that he would lose, so there wasn't even any suspense. Gah.

Gideon/Sophie is definitely my OTP for TID after Jem/Tessa!

"You okay, Freddie?"
"Yeah."
"Me too."

#7 2012-07-28 23:50:56

*You-Know-Who*
Miss Phobia
Website

Oh, yes, I'd definitely like more archetypes explored as well. Funny enough, Magnus presents two totally different character types it seems. In TMI he's the reluctant but loyal aid who's been there, done that. In TID he's vulnerable, darker and quieter. I'm quite pleased with his two different sides, while he still remains much the same character.
I want to see her try out an antihero. With her imagination, she'd do that VERY well, I think... And thanks for clarifying. I had to REALLY struggle to think of the similarities between Simon and Jem aside from their initial role xD. For one thing, Simon is an inept musiscian. :P
Mortmain is reminiscient of Moriarty to me, but with an anti-villain flair with his backstory. It's fabulous, really! He's beautifully done and quite scary, as a villain. Another character I liked the use of is Benedict Lightwood. I hate him as a person, he's a real git, but he's also very well done.

Nod nod! My favorite pairings are the two you listed as well. I'm kiiiinda curious about Will/Magnus, though I feel Will would be less than enthusiastic on that idea...

"Don't dream it.
Be it."

#8 2012-08-01 01:24:37

Finite Incantatem
Lightning Has Struck!
Website

I like to think that Cassie is not going to cut our heartstrings. I think she'll keep Jem alive, Jem and Tessa will love and marry each other, and Will and Magnus will totally get together!

"You okay, Freddie?"
"Yeah."
"Me too."

#9 2012-08-01 04:29:26

*You-Know-Who*
Miss Phobia
Website

But there's more Herondales. Magnus can't have Will's babies.... Hmmm

"Don't dream it.
Be it."

#10 2012-08-02 02:51:19

Finite Incantatem
Lightning Has Struck!
Website

True.

(But there's Cecily! What if she gets pregnant and gives the kid her surname (for whatever reason)? Maybe Gabriel knocks her up to spite Will and then dumps her, so she names her kid Herondale. I don't even know what I'm saying at this point, I just want to justify my Will/Magnus theoryyyyyyyy.)

"You okay, Freddie?"
"Yeah."
"Me too."

#11 2012-08-06 02:08:32

*You-Know-Who*
Miss Phobia
Website

Ya know what, I'll take it. I like the pairings enough to be illogical as well.
And in a perfect world, Jem has an accidental run in with a vampire and lives on forever xD

"Don't dream it.
Be it."

#12 2012-08-11 14:17:11

Finite Incantatem
Lightning Has Struck!
Website

Haha, yes! Please let that happen!!

Although in a really sad way, I kind of like the idea of Magnus and Tessa living forever together as best friends, mourning the losses of all of those that they love. And Tessa is really sad to see Magnus/Alec, because it reminds her of her and Jem and how it ended and she tries to warn Magnus about it, but to no avail because Magnus doesn't see the future when he's in love.

that needs to be a fic omg

"You okay, Freddie?"
"Yeah."
"Me too."

#13 2015-04-30 09:22:52

Emma

I enjoyed all of your discussion. I did not see it but after reading all of your comments i think i have to watch this series.

Adverts

Board footer